Monday, August 25, 2008

Speaking of superfluous articles...

When I was a kid, my grandfather told me that the dog was a man's best friend. He meant “man's best friend,” but added a superfluous article. Years later I figured out it meant dog and man as species, not just some weird guy Grampa knew. Anyway, my vet just sent me a reminder that it's time for Omar's shots, a note that begins, “If you're like most pet owners, you consider your pet's health to be just as important as your own.” That's sad. If “most pet owners” really feel that way, the dogs aren't the only sick puppies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't recall the last time I was at the doctor or the dentist. My dog Molly goes to her doctor twice a year and recently had her teeth cleaned.
The last time I was somebody's dog I got kicked in the teeth. Go figure.