Monday, June 7, 2021

In which bears ruin everything.

Looking over the score of a Chopin Etude, he was fascinated by the areas of paper that did not have ink on them. Thoroughly unmusical, knowing only that the black marks were instructions for manipulating the keyboard of a piano, he theorized that the white spaces could be interpreted as directions for what to do with the mute cracks between the keys. He was thinking of exploring this idea further. Unfortunately,  his investigations were brought to a sudden and tragic end when, while on a nature walk near his summer home, he was waylaid and fatally eaten by some bears.

5 comments:

Aggie said...

Dear Dave,
Apropos of nothing, I realized when I took out my trash the other day that I had the title for a song that only Dave Maleckar could write, as I don’t know anyone else who could wring the hell out of the pathos inherent in my detritus. And I guess this means that I’ll get a portion of the royalties as the song soars up the charts, right? So whaddya think? “Chicken Bones and Egg Shells (and Empty Coffee Tins)”. Hey to Nikki.

Anonymous said...

https://www.vosego.org/chopin

Mikey said...

Julien Gauthier?

Dave Maleckar said...

That's more than a title, it's nearly the whole dang song. So yep, you can start checking the mailbox for those royalty checks.

Dave Maleckar said...

Wait. Mikey, I had never heard of this. I just wanted to used the phrase "fatally eaten." Now I feel kinda bad.