Monday, November 5, 2018

I've had to omit some details.

About  300 million years ago, while the landmasses were busy forming the supercontinent Pangaea, plants developed tough woody tissues which then-current bacteria were incapable of digesting. While the bacteria were evolving their way around this, an incredible number of trees fell down and didn’t rot at all and that’s where all the coal comes from. Plus because of all the carbon trapped this way, the atmosphere became insanely oxygen rich, supporting things like eight and a half foot millipedes. But all good things come to an end and this Carboniferous Period gave way to the Pennsylvanian, which featured Fred Waring.

3 comments:

Mikey said...

I think there's an error here.
The Pennsylvanian was the second and last sub-period IN the Carboniferous. So when the Carboniferous ended, so did the Pennsylvanian. The first sub-period in the Carboniferous was the Mississippian. So as near as I can tell, while all the coal was being set up, the culture of native American mound builders was giving way to choral arrangements and blenders.

Dave Maleckar said...

Yes. That was one detail I omitted, that I falsified the facts to make a dumb joke. I was hoping you would not notice. I assumed the gigantic arthropods would distract you.

Bgibenbobb said...

Mikey'a mire than a match for you, DAVE.