Monday, December 30, 2019

Panic in Year Zero

We’ve been over this before, and the only reason I bring it up is that I’d rather be a tendentious pedantic bore than, well, not be a tendentious pedantic bore, I guess. 2020 is not the first year of a new decade. It’s the last year of the second decade of the twenty-first century. I’m arguing a lost cause here, I know. Ira Flatow, the science guy from public radio, was talking about the new decade. Et tu, NPR? So that’s it. I’ll shut up. But let me make one thing absolutely clear: I hold you all in utter contempt.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

C'mon, we all know why they claim this the end of the decade. It's so that, a year from now, they can all point out how silly we were to actually think that this was the end of the decade and then re-cycle all of the "best of the decade", "most memorable of the decade, or whatever "of the decade" that we're experiencing now. ... smug, patronizing, lazy ... "they". Cynicism is a wondrous thing.

Unknown said...

Let the games begin ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/21/us/when-does-the-decade-end-begin-trnd/index.html

Dave Maleckar said...

Okay, how's this: 2020 is simultaneously the last year of the second decade of the 21st century and the first year of the '20s. Look, perhaps you have misunderstood my intentions. I don't have to be right, I just have to hit the 100 word mark.