Monday, March 16, 2020

Stop your tittering.

Boys, stop that giggling or I shall have to separate you. As I was saying, the tufted titmouse is not a mouse at all, but a charming little bird in the tit and chickadee family. Its familiar song can be described as a lilting “peter, peter, peter” – Boys! I’ll not warn you again! – a lilting “peter, peter, peter” in the trees. It is not to be confused with the edible dormouse, a small rodent that was considered a delicacy by the ancient Romans. It is consumed to this day in Slovenia, where the fur is used to make traditional hats.

5 comments:

Aggie said...

Tiny, tiny traditional hats...

Dave Maleckar said...

No no no - it's real, the hats are of many many hides. I wouldn't kid about a thing like this.

Aggie said...

I know...I just loved picturing tiny, tiny hats, maybe small enough for a pigeon to wear.

Dave Maleckar said...

The kind with ear flaps?

Aggie said...

Oh, yes!